These are some examples of comments and questions I've been getting lately. And after awhile, they really got me thinking.
Yes, the main focus of Together Better Stronger is on encouraging skill building in couples to help their marriages and committed relationships thrive. And until recently I never thought much about providing any other kinds of classes. However, after a successful launch of the 7 Principles couples classes this past Spring, attendees (and others) started inquiring about additional training... and many were asking about parenting skills.
So, wanting to be responsive and hating to say something lame like, "Um... sorry, we don't have that yet", I went to work to find out what's available and what's considered state of the art in terms of parenting skill building. Here's what I found!
This class equips parents with highly effective tools for helping kids develop emotional intelligence. But why is this so important?
Because research shows that only 15% of success in adulthood (measured by career advancement, relationship stability, life satisfaction and other similar measures) is based on IQ Intelligence. The other 85% is based on Emotional Intelligence. That's huge!
We all know people who are book smart, but not people smart, right? How does that happen? Well, it's complicated - but suffice to say that there are some 'people smart' skills that you can encourage and develop in your kids - from infants to teens- that will help them succeed in their adult lives.
And guess who is in the perfect position to do that encouraging?? Right! You! (parents, grandparents, and teachers too)!
So you can understand why I'm thrilled to announce our new class -- Emotion Coaching: The Heart of Parenting! It meets for four evenings: Th. Oct. 30, Th. Nov. 6, Wed. Nov. 12, & Th. Nov. 20 and cost is only $90 per person (including materials).
I invite you to join me and sign up fast to get your seat! It will be a lot of fun (promise!) and the skills you learn will positively impact your kids for years to come. It truly is a small investment with a big impact.
Many thanks, and looking forward to seeing you soon in class!
Dr. Beth Schmit
Psychologist & Gottman Educator
P.S., Please pass this on to anyone you think might be interested!
P.P.S., Don't forget to sign up below to get on the mailing list - No spam, promise, just good stuff.
And one more thing... Please visit our Facebook page and give the page a "Like", comment on something, share your perspective. We're listening. Thanks!